Character Spotlight – Emily Slovkowski
Emily Slovkowski is half of EM & EM—the “old” Em, before she gets a new name, a new look, and a new life in Witness Protection. Though we only see a handful of chapters in the novel from her viewpoint as Emily, it is ultimately HER story.
- Hometown: Somewhere on the Jersey Shore
- Family: Mother and one sister, Trina
- Boyfriend: Zach Reagan
- Best Friend: Molly (though that should be “friend” in quotes)
- Nemesis: Jimmy D’Angelo
- Nickname: Slutkowski (No, she did not pick that herself, and yes, she hates, hates, hates it!)
- Grades: Mostly A’s
- Favorite Subject: Art
- After-School Activities: Yearbook photographer
- Summer Job: Photographer at the Shoot ’Em Up old-time Western photo place on the boardwalk
- Hobbies: Photography, arcade games
- Netflix Obsession: Freaks and Geeks
- Favorite Color: Yellow
- Favorite Food: Pistachio ice cream (ideally served in a waffle cone)
- Favorite quote: “Do I love you because you’re beautiful, or are you beautiful because I love you?” (from Cinderella)
- Random Emily quote from the book: “Can’t a girl smile for no reason?”
- Actress who would play her in the movie: Chloe Grace Moretz
Photos of Chloe Grace Moretz:
Em and Em by Linda Budzinski
Publication Date: Sept 15, 2015
Publisher: Swoon Romance
Genre: YA, Contemporary
The last thing sixteen-year-old Emily Slovkowski wants is to move away from her home at the Jersey shore, gorgeous surfer boyfriend Zach, and her entire identity. But that’s kind of how Witness Protection works, and Em must prepare herself for an epic do-over as she starts a new life in the Midwest.
Even as she pines for sandy beaches and the night life of the shore, the newly-named Ember O’Malley finds herself making new friends, taking photos for the high school newspaper, and thinking an awful lot about the paper’s editor, an oddly cute cowboy named Charles.
When Em stumbles upon a shady beneath-the-bleachers exchange between one of the school’s football coaches and a student, she refuses to get involved. The last thing she needs is to be witness to another crime or call attention to herself. Besides, she finally has some real friends – well, real except for the fact that they don’t know a single thing about her – and she prefers to keep it that way until the trial.
But as her day in court approaches, Em begins piecing together what she saw that day beneath the bleachers. And, as her own past secrets start to catch up with her, Em needs to figure out who she really is – Em or Em.
Giveaway International – ends October 2, 2015
One (1) winner will receive a digital copy of Em and Em by Linda Budzkinski and a $10 Amazon GC
Linda Acorn Budzinski decided in the second grade that she wanted to be a “Paperback Writer,” just like in the Beatles song. She majored in journalism in college and now works in marketing and communications. She spent 18 years at a trade association in the funeral service industry, where she discovered that funeral directors are some of the bravest and most compassionate people on earth. Linda lives in Northern Virginia with her husband, Joe, and their chihuahua, Demitria. She has two step-daughters, Eris and Sarah. THE FUNERAL SINGER is her debut novel. She is represented by Andrea Somberg of Harvey Klinger Inc.
THE FUNERAL SINGER is Linda Budzinski’s first novel.